Tiger Woods vs Phil Mickelson: Head-to-head golf round, Las Vegas, “it’s on”
IN one of the most anticipated clashes, two of the games biggest names are set to play a revolutionary head-to-head battle.
Mark CannizzaroNY PostAugust 23, 20186:22pm
Top sports stars shocking salaries1:15
The celebration and fervor surrounding top athletes can only be matched by their outrageous salaries. Here are some of the biggest pay packets around the sporting world as well as some of the surprises found in women’s sport and the Australian market.
- July 11th 2018
- 2 months ago
- /display/newscorpaustralia.com/Web/NewsNetwork/Sport news and galleries/
ON A day Phil Mickelson joined Twitter, details of the ballyhooed Thanksgiving weekend match between him and Tiger Woods emerged.
Mickelson launched a Twitter account shortly before teeing off in his pro-am round for the Northern Trust on Wednesday afternoon and by the time he finished the round he had more than 53,000 followers.
One person who’s not yet following Mickelson is Woods. Though by the time Mickelson finished his pro-am round, Woods had tweeted an image of the match stating, “It’s on.’’
Interestingly, in the image, Woods was swinging a left-handed driver — perhaps a tweak of the left-handed Mickelson.
“For many years, he’s gotten the better of me, but that Friday night it’s going to be the easiest $10 mil ($9 million) I’ve ever made,’’ Mickelson said with a big smile.
Asked about prematch smack talk, Mickelson said, “I’m OK at it. I’m not opposed to it at all. But we have plenty of time to do that, and I’ve got to be careful because I’m hoping we are teammates in the Ryder Cup and I don’t want to cause a stir yet. But in the first week of October, it will start to heat up.’’
It’s on @PhilMickelson #TigerVSPhil pic.twitter.com/PZivYPOEf5
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) August 22, 2018
WarnerMedia’s Turner division made the announcement Wednesday that the match will be hosted by MGM Resorts International and held Thanksgiving weekend at Shadow Creek in Las Vegas. The winner will walk away with $9 million, winner take all.
It will be a pay-per-view event with, according to Mickelson, the players and caddies mic’d up and with the players making side bets during the match involving closest to the pin, long drive, up-and-downs and putting.
HBO Sports, like it does leading up to big boxing matches, will televise a 24/7 show involving the two players.
“It’s an opportunity for us to bring golf to the masses in prime time during a period where we don’t have much going on in the world of golf,’’ Mickelson said. “It allows us to be a little bit more real, if you will. We’re going to be mic’d up. We think there will be some pretty good interest, but we’re also trying to present it in a way that you don’t get to see with normal TV.
“The idea is not just to have this great match but to have this interactive experience so fans can seem something they’ve never seen in televised golf before.’’
Mickelsonand Woods had an occasionally frosty relationship during their prime years at the summit of men’s golf but have enjoyed warmer tiesrecently after working closely during various Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup campaigns.
Mickelson said there was no chance of the duo carving up the lucrative purse between them, insisting that the event wouldbe winner-take-all.
“If you (don’t) do that, it undermines it,” Mickelson said. “The whole point is the winner-take-all thing. That’s the excitingpart about it.” Former world number one Woods only returned to golf this year after missing most of the previous two years due to recurring back problems.
The 42-year-old bagged a second place finish at the PGA Championship earlier this month while 48-year-old Mickelson missedthe cut.
This article originally appeared on the NY Post and was reproduced with permission.